Round 2: Bond election called by Fort Stockton ISD

Time to read
2 minutes
Read so far

Round 2: Bond election called by Fort Stockton ISD

Posted in:
In-page image(s)
FSISD Administration Building
Body

The Fort Stockton Independent School District Bond Proposition A was 10 votes away from passing in May, failing 665-656 during an election that had 18% of registered voters participate.

Now, the Fort Stockton ISD School Board is moving forward with a second bond election that includes the same $84 million proposition.

The school board approved the order of a bond election for two propositions (see details below) at a special meeting on Aug. 17 – five days before the Aug. 22 deadline.

The election will be held on Nov. 8 – the date for the general statewide and local election.

“I think we have to go for it. We have to continue fighting for our kids. If we didn’t do enough last time, we’re going to double/triple the efforts and we’ll stay positive regardless of how much negativity comes our way,” Fort Stockton ISD Superintendent Dr. Gabriel Zamora said before the school board vote took place to go out for election.

With the tax rate language at the ballot box being one of primary reasons for the failure of four bond propositions this past May, Zamora emphasized that the bond money, if passed, would be taken out in a manner that would not increase the tax rate.

“We want everyone to understand that we’re staggering the monies. It’s not just they’re going to get $84 million. We’re going to get what we can to maintain the tax rate the same,” Zamora said before the board’s vote. “We’re going to do to whatever we have to do to keep that tax rate the same or lower it possibly.”

Board member Anastacio Dominguez noted at Wednesday’s special meeting the money would benefit all students at Fort Stockton ISD.

“One of the things on Proposition A, it’s going to cover all campuses,” he said.

Board president Billy Espino added his support for having it on the November ballot.

“It’s something we need to do. It’s not going to get any better,” he said. “It’s not going to take care of itself.”

Proposition B – titled Stadium Complex – has a $16 million limit and is similar to the same proposition on the ballot this past May, which had a $12 million limit.

Jeremy Hickman, first-year Fort Stockton ISD Athletic Director and head football coach, said at Wednesday’s meeting that female athletes would largely benefit from the upgrades if the bond were to pass.

“We want to upgrade and put an emphasis on getting things to the level they need to be, but also really put my foot forward for our female athletes for not only the next couple of years, but generations,” he said.

Below is the summary of the propositions as stated in the special school board meeting packet for the Aug. 17 meeting:

Ballot Proposition A

The issuance of up to $84 million in bonds by the Fort Stockton Independent School District for school facilities, including, but not limited to, district-wide safety and security upgrades, renovations to all campuses, construction of a new intermediate classroom wing, improvements to the CTE facilities, and updates to the transportation fleet.

Ballot Proposition B

The issuance of up to $16 million in bonds by the Fort Stockton Independent School District for school stadium facilities, including new turf, a new field house, renovation of the 55-year-old field house, and upgrades to the track, with priority given to additional facilities for female athletes.